I thought of posting an update about one of the new Hyperion Planning (11.1.2+) features. I will keep it short:
– This feature is not the miracle pill (sorry developers). Why not? ‘Cause it’s not what the name suggests. It (only) maps data from one application to the other,
knowing how to interpret the Smart List data. Keep in mind names/labels are only available on the level of Hyperion Planning metadata,since they are stored in the DB not Essbase.
– The reporting application (yes it can be an ASO) + database + all dimensions and members need to exist before you can push data in.
– The Smart Lists you want to analyse need their own dimension(s) – careful with names/labels, if you confused about it look at the export file created and throw out the dimension members (probably accounts)
– If you create it in EAS, you will need to provision the user. I did it with admin user and it took me 30 minutes to figure out that one of my problems was due to only having “Provisioning” rights on the new application.
– Licenses, since you make a new Essbase application.
– I would suggest EPMA should be able to handle this better/with less hassle then if you use a classical planning application, since you can reuse dimensions/members…
– Behind the scenes no real magic happens (more info in John Goodwin blog and is easy to find the generated files so you can look for yourself, plus is always good to check the Essbase logs) and as I see it this all could be build as part as a bigger integration work with some “ETL” magic and maybe a bit more wits.
This is just my thoughts as usual